Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dust Bowl and Okies, and Hobos

August 1931

The dust bowl is in the Great Plains.
I unfortunately have to deal with them every once in a while. I had to learn the hard way. My family suffered a lot on the first dust storm, but thankfully we know how to deal with it. Although we do everything possible for the dust to stay away from the inside our home, it still manages to get in.

Many of my neighbors have left the Great Plain and moved either east or west.
They are known as Okies because they are migrant who left the Great Plains and moved out to the big cities to escape the dust bowl. 

I once thought that I was going to be a hobo. Being a hobo was very tough. You had many obstacles on your way to get to your designated place. Jumping from to train without being seen was probably the toughest. People don’t have money to buy train tickets, so they had to ride them without others knowing.

I’ve heard many tragic stories about hobos riding the trains and how their lives ended up. I don’t even want to get close to them trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment